#CareerTruth: Meet The 22-year-old Who Said She Has Made Her Family Happy And Now Is The Time To Make Herself Happy




A lot of people studied courses that their parents wanted them to study. Some other people didn't get the course they applied for and ended up studying something else. Some people are not practicing what they studied. Are you doing what you planned to do when you were a child? Is your present career better than what you planned to do? Every week we'll be sharing stories of people and their career truth.


This week I had a conversation with a 22-year-old who said she has made her family happy by getting a certificate in Accounting and Finance, now is the time to make herself happy.


What did you want to study?

Growing up, I always wanted to be a model. I had a thing for fashion.  In SS2 I decided Mass Communication or Theatre Arts. I really just wanted to do anything that had to do with fashion and television.


Nice. So did you get any of the courses?

Hahaha. No. I studied Accounting and Finance.


Okkk… How did that happen?

My family… My Mom is an accountant. My Uncle is an accountant. I come from a generation of accountants. None of my siblings was an accountant so I had no option. I had to be an accountant. I am the last child


So it wasn’t your idea at all? Look at me thinking you just grew up and changed your TV plans

Well… It wasn’t my idea but at the same time I had no issue with studying Accounting because I loved the fact that there was always money coming in. So I was like oh okay but I never really liked it. They pushed the idea on me.


How's career journey been? 

I worked with INEC during NYSC. I was an accountant there but it was part time. Of course, it’s a government office, so there’s really no work to do. I used most of my time to go to orphanages in Kaduna, I went to talk to the girls there. I bought them clothes. I did makeup for them. I spent most of my time with the girls. I also worked as a teacher at one point. It was an online job. I taught English to Chinese children. I tried but it didn’t work out.

Recently, I did a little bit of anchoring too. My friend owns a TV station in Abuja. So I got an opportunity to be on TV and that made me happy.



Nice. Finally, you are a Television girl.

I think so. I love television. I love the lights. I love the attention and everything that comes with it.

Oh! I forgot to mention that I'm back to school. I'm trying to be a Chartered Accountant for my parents again.


Oh wow! ICAN?

Yes.


Are you doing anything else asides ICAN?

Currently, I am a banker. A part time banker. I use most of my time designing clothes, buying stuff for people, organizing wardrobes and recommending fashion tips for my friends and colleagues. I earn a little money doing that.


Ok, that’s like part time then banking is full time, yeah?

Banking... hmmm.. I’m planning on resigning. Probably in like a week or two because whenever I find myself in the bank I get angry. The figures generally make me unhappy.


That means you have other plans. 

I’m planning to go into fashion full time after I resign. Currently I’m planning on opening a semi-store. Where I go thrift shopping, get stuff, mix-match for people and then sell. My family does not have an opinion anymore. Actually, at this point my sister is pushing me to go into full time fashion, my mom too.


Oh okay. So everyone understands now. That’s good.

Everybody understands… Erm, I really don’t think they understand. They are just happy since  I have the certificate already. So whenever they need me to be an accountant, I am an accountant. I think I’ve made them happy, now is the time to make myself happy.


That's really nice. I wish you all the best. Thanks for sharing your story.

Thank you so much for listening.


_______________________________________________________

Check back next Tuesday for our next story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rivers people are not Igbos!

I AM IJAW

My Lagos Experience