#CareerTruth: His Father Wanted Him To Study Law But He Chose Communications



A lot of people studied courses that their parents wanted them to study. Some other people didn't get the course they applied for and ended up studying something else. Some people are not practicing what they studied. Are you doing what you planned to do when you were a child? Is your present career better than what you planned to do? Every week we'll be sharing stories of people and their career truth.

This week I had a conversation with a 24-year-old who didn't know what he wanted to study but is flourishing in the communications industry now.


What did you want to study?

I didn't know what I wanted to study before I got into the university. 

Oh? so what did you study and who chose the course?

Yes, I didn't know what I wanted but I applied to study law at Babcock University. It was my parent's idea. My name came out in mass communication department  though. I also applied to Bowen and my name came out in Law department. My dad pressured me to do it but I didn't choose it.

How did you convince him?

It's a very funny story. I  was just 17. I told God to help me. Then I had a dream one night. In the dream I saw someone write mass communication on a white board. So I woke up and told my dad.  He's a strong christian, so he believed me and he said, since it's God, I should go on. That was how I studied Mass Communication.

How was your experience? Seeing that you didn't even have any course on your mind before that time.

I didn't know anything about Mass Communication. I just thought that I would be a radio presenter but by 300 level I started working for the school magazine. This was influenced by my experience during IT at a top news agency. I didn't want to write. I thought writers didn't make money. After school, my first contact was marketing.

How's your career journey been since you graduated?

When I finished University, I reached out to an older family friend and he advised me to go back to school to study law or do ICAN  or the stockbroking one. Lmao

How? All the way from Mass Communication?

That got me confused tbh, because I knew I wasn't good in that regard but I went ahead regardless because local man was confused. I started classes for the CIS (Chartered Institute of Stockbrokers) exams though, but one month into classes, I knew that shot wasn't for me, so I ended the program  (that's the academy) and now I'm back in the communications space again. I feel I'm down for this. I feel I have a lot to offer. Damn! I'm buzzing.

What are you doing now?

I am currently working as a Quality Control Associate for Contents. This is still related to what I studied.

Do you have plans to go back to school or change career?

For now I don't have plans to go back to school. Maybe in 5 years. About changing career, I want to explore all the career options in communications. I want to work in advertising, marketing, PR, etc.

That's good. I wish you all the best. Thanks for sharing your story.

Thanks for listening.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rivers people are not Igbos!

I AM IJAW

My Lagos Experience