Eat Good: How To Make Afang Soup


Yaay, I'm starting the "Eat Good" series with my favorite soup. Afang soup! I'm in love with this soup. This was my first meal in Nysc orientation camp. After struggling with registration, I ended my day with Afang soup. I had it almost every week when I was serving in Uyo. That's how much I love it.

Afang soup is a tasty Nigerian soup. One of the native soups of the Efiks/Ibibios (Akwa Ibom & Cross River states)


   


Ingredients;

  • 400g sliced Afang leaves ( Okazi)
  • 250g Water leaves (spinach as alternative)
  • 20 to 25 cl red palm oil (about 1 drink glass)
  • Meat, Ponmo and Dry fish
  • Stock fish (optional)
  • 2 tablespoons ground crayfish
  • Pepper and salt (to taste)
  • 2 stock cubes
  • Periwinkle (if you like)
  • Onion 

Before you cook;

  • Wash, drain and slice the water leaves into tiny pieces. 
  • Grind or pound the sliced Okazi leaves.
  • Grind your pepper and crayfish and cut the onions into tiny pieces.
  • Cut perinkles and wash (if you are using).

Directions;

  •  Boil meat and stock fish with onion, stock cubes, salt, pepper (yesI boil my meat with pepper) and very small quantity of water. When done, add the dry fish and boil for about 5 minutes.
  •  Add the Ponmo and Periwinkles to the meat stock.
  • Now add the sliced water leaves. Stir and cover for 2 minutes.
  • Add Palm oil and allow to boil for 4 minutes.
  • Add the afang leaves cover for a few minutes.
  • Add crayfish.

Afang soup is ready!




 

 Will you try this? How will you serve it? With Eba, Semovita or Pounded yam? Tell us.

Thanks for reading 💋

@mstariah

Comments

  1. One of the native soup I love so much,even though I am not an Akwa Ibomite. Semovita is preferred

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rivers people are not Igbos!

I AM IJAW

My Lagos Experience